Thermometers have been developed and advanced for centuries. Today you can find a huge variety of types, styles, and designs. You can buy them in digital or analog design and many modern thermometers offer you a huge variety of functions and features.
But thermometers are not some all in one invention that you can use to take the temperature of just about anything. These instruments are designed to take the temperature of specific objects or environments. These instruments fall under four major function categories;
Medical thermometers – These thermometers enable you to take body temperature of people and animals and are invaluable for spotting and monitoring fevers.
Atmospheric thermometers – These thermometers are used to take environment temperature readings in locations such as inside your house, outside the house or inside coolers and factories.
Cooking thermometers – Temperature plays a huge role in food science. The thermometers used for cooking are usually waterproof and heat resistant. They vary in design and make it possible for you to monitor the condition or cooking consistency of your foods.
Industrial or laboratory thermometers – Temperature is also vital in the manufacturing and science industries. Certain manufacturing processes or chemical processes require products to reach a certain temperature or not exceed a certain temperature for a chemical process to take place. In laboratories or factories, highly accurate and durable thermometers are required for taking the temperature of rooms, specific objects and products.
In this buyer’s guide, we are going to discuss the top 4 thermometers to buy right now for cooking, medical and atmospheric thermometers. In our reviews, we are going to discuss the leading features and benefits of the top thermometers in every industry so you can find the best thermometer to buy right now.
The Simplife Thermometer for Forehead and Ears – The Best Thermometer for Kids
All families should have a medical thermometer, especially if you have little ones in the house. There are quite a few different types of thermometers on the market that re best suited for taking children’s temperatures such as pacifier thermometers, digital thermometers, digital infrared thermometers, forehead strips and more. An infrared digital thermometer for foreheads and ears are the best picks for families with little ones and we believe that the Simplife thermometer is the best thermometer for babies as well as entire families.
This thermometer allows you to take temperature readings via the forehead and inner ear. To use the thermometer you simply point it at a forehead and press the start button. To take an ear temperature reading you only need to take off the cap and point it directly at the eardrum before pressing the start button.
The Simplife thermometer is quite fast and offers you readings within just a second or two. The speedy results and ease of use make it perfectly suitable for infants and children since you can take their temperatures without disturbing your child as he sleeps and you can get readings of angry and annoyed babies within seconds.
This thermometer is white and blue n design, light in weight and very easy to use. A memory drive allows you to store up to 20 previous temperature readings to help you monitor patients improvements. It uses 2 AAA batteries and offers a nice and long battery life.
The LCD screen on this thermometer is very bright and it also features a green backlight that eases night time viewing. When the backlight starts flashing red then something might be off with your products or projects.
The thermometer is very easy to use and it is light and compact in size for easy traveling or transportation.
- Weight – 4 oz
- Colors – Blue and white
- Batteries required – 2 x AAA
- Temperature reading modes – Forehead and ear mode
- Display – Large LCD with green backlight
- Fever alarm – Red backlight and 10 short beeps
- Mute mode – Yes
- Accessories – Storage bag and instruction manual
Things we love
- Very easy to use
- Offers F and C degree readings
- Bright backlight eases night time viewing and offers a beautiful display
- Red alarm backlight goes on to indicate a fever
- You can log up to 20 temperature readings
- It is perfect for use on adults to infants
- Can be used to capture temperature via ear or forehead
- Light in weight and affordable price
Things we dont love
- Frequent use with backlight can reduce battery life
- Needs to acclimate to room temperature for accurate readings
- A 5-degree inaccuracy if the device is not acclimated
This is a very handy little thermometer to have with you at home or during travels. The thermometer can be used on babies to adults and is perfect for taking temperature readings without disturbing little ones. The quick result makes it easy for parents to get accurate readings on fussy little ones. The thermometer is superb for detecting and monitoring fevers so you will know when to start on pain and fever medications and so you can keep an eye on fevers to ensure that these do not get out of hand.
All in all the Simplife Thermometer is a great medical thermometer for families of all sizes and ages.
The Marathon BA03001 Analog Thermometer – The Best Outdoor Thermometer
Using your digital medical thermometer to get atmospheric temperature readings isn’t the best idea. These handheld units are not weather resistant and won’t give you the right environment readings. An analog thermometer is the best thermometer to get if you want to monitor outdoor temperatures.
These thermometers are usually very straightforward in design. They consist of a glass vase that contains liquids like mercury or alcohol that is mounted on a ruler backdrop. As the temperature increase in the surroundings, the liquid will expand and rise up in the tube and you can read the temperature by viewing the temperature ruler at the back.
If you are looking for the best outdoor thermometer that will offer you accurate readings for many years to come then we suggest you have a look at the Marathon BA03001 Analog Thermometer.
This thermometer is very affordable and offers you accurate results at any given moment of the day or night. The thermometer is family safe since it doesn’t contain any mercury. At n16.61 x 2.6 x 3.9, it is also nice and large with huge readings so you can easily view the temperature from a distance. The thermometer offers both Celsius and Fahrenheit readings with a range of -40 to 50 degrees Celsius and -40 to 120 degrees Fahrenheit. The temperature ranges for these thermometers are more than sufficient for documenting everyday climates around your home.
The thermometer is waterproof and is very easy to attach to a wall since it is fitted with two holes and comes with two matching screws for easy installation.
- Weight – 3.52 lbs
- Size – 16.6 x 2.6 x 0.4 inches
- Colors – white mount with red liquid vase and red, black and blue temperature ruler
- Degree type – Fahrenheit and Celsius
- Easy to use – Yes
- Buttons – No, this is a non-digital thermometer
- Waterproofing – Yes
Things we love
- It is very easy to use
- The large design makes it very easy to read from a distance
- It is waterproof and can be installed outside
- The thermometer is very easy to install since it has pre-cut holes and nails are included
- There is no mercury in the glass tube
- It requires no batteries to function
- The thermometer is affordable and highly durable
Things we don’t love
- The thermometer is not digital and offers no digital readings, display or memory logging
- You need to stand right in front of the thermometer to see the colored fluids inside the tube so you can read the temperature.
- The plastic materials can deteriorate if exposed to direct sun for long periods
This thermometer doesn’t have all the functions, bells and whistles of digital thermometers but it is a very practical and affordable investment. The thermometer doesn’t require any batteries and you never need to recharge it. It is very easy to install and once you have it up, you will be able to use it for many years to come. It is a sturdy and good thermometer to help you take environment readings with ease.
The Thermpro TP20 Thermometer – The Best Wireless Thermometer
Not all thermometers are suitable for in oven use. Plastic ones will simply melt away and the last thing you want is to have mercury-containing thermometer to explode all over your food. If you want to enhance your cooking skills by monitoring the temperature of foods such as meats while you cook then you need to invest in a good heat-resistant thermometer. The ThermPro TP20 Thermometer is one of the best investments any chef can make.
This thermometer functions via two steel rods that is inserted into foods. The steel rods are connected to a transmitter that is fitted outside of the oven, stove or grill. This transmitter allows you to view the temperature of your meats at a glance via a large LCD screen that offers you night time viewing.
What makes this the elite thermometer for chefs is the wireless function. The transmitter of the thermometer also comes with a wireless receiver that can pick up the signal up to 300 feet from the transmitter. With this transmitter you can wander away from the oven or grill to chat and mingle with friends and family while still keeping an eye on your foods.
The transmitter offers quite a lot of features. It allows you to see the temperatures of each rod on the large LCD with a backlight for night viewing. The transmitter also allows you to set an alarm or countdown timer, an alarm will single if you go out of range of the transmitter and the device can be attached to your belt.
The thermometer is functional for preparing just about any foods including various meats such as beef, poultry, veal, turkey and more. It is a perfect tool for monitoring temperature in all cooking methods such as cooking, baking and smoking. The taste setting on the receiver also indicates whether your food is currently rare, medium-rare, medium, medium well done or well done so you can see the condition of the food without having to walk over to the check.
- Weight – 1 lbs
- Size – 10.43 x 6.49 x 2.48 inch
- Includes – 1 receiver, 1 transmitter, 2 curved and 2 straight stainless steel probes, 1 manual and 4 AAA batteries
- Foods you can monitor – all meat and food types
- Taste sensors – 5 notifications
- Countdown timer – Yes
- Alarm – Yes
- Waterproof – yes
- Connection range – 300feet with lost connection alarm
Things we love
- The thermometer is very easy to use
- We love the fact that you can move around and socialise while keeping an eye on foods
- The set comes with 2 sets of rods, one curved and one straight
- You can monitor the temperature of two independent dishes in independent ovens
- Eases the process of preparing meats
- The taste mode allows you to see the present consistency of foods
- You can prepare a variety of meats with the same device
- Batteries are included in the set when you buy it
- The large LCD monitors offer backlight viewing so you can see clearly at night
Things we didn’t love
- Configuration isn’t extensive or easy to figure out
- The rod wires will need to stick out of the oven, smoker or grill
- The device is expensive for some buyers.
This quality thermometer is a perfect tool for those who love spending time with family and friends on barbecue evenings or for chefs that want to take their cooking expertise to the next level. With this thermometer you can perfect your food dishes and reduce the chances of burning or ruining your foods by drying it out too much.
The Caroune Ear and Forehead Thermometer – The Best Forehead Thermometer
This is another excellent medical thermometer to consider. The Caroune ear and forehead thermometer is the best pick for entire families that require something easy to use and accurate. The thermometer is a good pick for those that don’t know too much about different fever levels.
This thermometer is white in design with a large LCD screen with backlight for easy night time viewing The thermometer also has three notification lights that give you more info on the temperature results. When a temperature reading of 37.5 or lower is detected, the green light will come on indicating that there is no fever and you are still all set to go. The yellow light comes on when light to moderate fevers of 37.5 – 38.5 degrees are detected. When this light goes on you should start administering pain and fever medications in order to keep the fever under control. A red light goes on when fevers above 38.5 degrees C is detected. This is an indication that you are dealing with a severe fever and require medical attention.
The thermometer is suitable for use on people of all ages from infancy to the senior stage. It can be used to take temperature readings of the forehead and inner ear and gives you accurate results within one second of use. The thermometer is light in weight and comes with a small pouch that makes it very easy to take along with you as you travel.
- Weight – 4.5 oz
- Colors – White and turquoise
- Modes – Ear mode and forehead mode
- Memory – 32 temperature readings
- Reading speed – 1 second
- Fever alarm – Green for normal, yellow for slight, red for high fever
- Accessories – Comes with storing pouch and batteries
- Ages – Suited for infants to adults
- Display – LCD with backlight
- Mute – Yes
Things we love
- The device is very easy to use
- It is practical for detecting fevers on people of all ages
- It offers accurate and reliable results
- Gives you accurate results in one second
- You can use it to take temperature via ear or forehead
- It can store up to 32 temperature readings for fever monitoring
- It offers various lights to indicate whether you are ok, have a slight fever or need medical attention
- The LCD screen offers a backlight view so you can see clearly at night
Things we didn’t love
- The device has only one button for both start and memory access
- You need to shut off the device if you want to take the temperature a second time
- For accurate readings, you need to first acclimate the device to room temperature before using it
This is a great alternative device to the Simplife thermometer that is also featured on our list. The Caroune Ear and Forehead thermometer is very easy to use, offers a stylish design and is functional for single adults to entire families. It offers you instant temperature readings and stores up to 32 readings so you can go back to previous results to see if an improvement is on its way.
Still cannot make up your mind as to which thermometer to buy? Don’t worry because in this quick buyers guide we are going to help you make the best budget decisions. It is important to remember that you cannot use a medical thermometer for cooking temperature readings or use an atmospheric thermometer inside an oven. You need to consider the main function of the thermometer before you buy it. These devices are task-specific and will only give you durability and accurate results when used for the purpose intended.
The best atmospheric temperature readings – If you need a thermometer that allows you to see how hot it is inside or outside the house then choose the Marathon BA0001 thermometer. This analog thermometer constantly indicates the temperature level, never requires recharging and doesn’t need any batteries to function. It is also very easy to install and the large design allows you to see the temperature readings from across the room.
The best for detecting fevers – If you are buying a thermometer to take fever temperature readings then we suggest the Simplife Thermometer. This is the best pick for kids because it can be used for inner ear and forehead temperature taking so you won’t need to wake little ones up. The Caroune Ear and Forehead Thermometer is also a good pick for families or adults. It offers a beautiful design and the indication lights make it easy to see when you need to administer medications or seek medical attention.
The best for cooking – The Thermpro TP20 is the best thermometer to buy if you want to take your cooking skills to the next level. This thermometer allows you to stick rods into foods and transmits the findings to a remote receiver with a 300-foot range. You can monitor the temperature of different dishes or meats at the same time and the thermometer has features that indicate the condition of your foods.
The budget-friendly – The Marathon BA03001 is the most affordable on the list so if you need an atmospheric thermostat then we welcome you to buy it. But this thermometer won’t help you much for other tasks such as cooking or taking fevers. It is better to spend a bit extra on something that will actually serve your intended purpose.
We hope that this guide served you well in locating the best thermometer for cooking, monitoring fevers or to see just how hot it is outside. To find out more about these specific thermometers we welcome you to also hop over to our product reviews where you can learn even more about these specific products.