Thermometers are very handy instruments. These tools perform such a simple task and yet their purpose is instrumental. Thermometers are vital in weather predictions, medical treatments, cooking and in many industrial processes.
There is also a huge variety of thermometers available on the market. These thermometers can include food thermometers, fever thermometers and so much more. If you are passionate about cooking then you likely only care about food thermometers.
These thermometers are designed to take the temperature of foods while they cook so you can monitor these foods while they cook and control the outcome of the foods.
In this product review, we are going to compare the most common kitchen thermometers namely candy thermometers VS meat thermometers so you can choose the best of the best for your kitchen.
Candy Thermometer VS Meat Thermometers – What Is The Difference?
Both of these thermometers can be used to monitor the temperature of foods while you are cooking. Candy thermometers or glass thermometers are preferable for taking temperatures of liquids where meat thermometers are preferable for taking the core temperature reading of meats.
In many cases, these thermometers can be used for other purposes.
Meat probe thermometers, for example, can be used to take the temperature of any type of food or liquid including cold and frozen items. Candy thermometers often don’t have a sharp probe that can be pushed into meats and as such often aren’t suitable for monitoring the temperature of meats.
Up next we are going to compare the best meat and candy thermometers money can buy;
The OXO Good Grips Glass Candy Thermometer is one of the best candy thermometers to get right now.
This traditional thermometer requires no batteries to function and gives you accurate readings on foods like candy mixes, frying oils and even cooked meals with ease.
The candy thermometer is perfect for candy making. It offers a vast heat temperature range of 40 – 200 degrees C and you can easily read both F and C temperature units. The top fitted hook makes it very easy to hold the thermometer in foods without dropping it. It is a very handy tool to have in the kitchen.
If you are looking for an old trusty thermometer design that won’t let you down any time soon then this is the right pick.
- Weight – 0.16oz
- Size – 16.5 x 4.2 x 1.5”
- Type – Glass thermometer
- Color – Grey and white
- Temperature range – 40 – 200 degrees C
- Temperature unit – F and C
- Cleaning – Hand wash only
- Waterproof – Yes
- Suitable for – Taking temperatures of liquids and cooked foods
- No batteries required to operate
- Very easy and straightforward to use
- Has a vast temperature range
- Suitable for taking temperatures of all hot liquids and cooked foods
- The unit is waterproof
- An easy handle prevents you from dropping it into the glass
- Perfect for candy making
- Can be used for taking the temperature of frying oils
- Very accurate
- Take temperature units in F and C
- Not suited for cold foods
- Cannot be used for meats or many other foods
- Can take a while to give an accurate reading
The Kizen Instant Read Meat Thermometer is a perfect all-round kitchen thermometer. It is designed for meats but can be used to take the temperature of any type of food or liquids.
This digital thermometer is foldable and won’t take up much space. It offers temperature readings in 2 – 3 seconds and can monitor a vast temperature range of -58 to 572 degrees F which makes it suited for cold foods as well as extremely hot.
The thermometer is fitted with a large LCD with a backlight so you can view temperature readings even in the dead of the night. It can be used to take F and C temperature units and at just 1.6oz it is quite light and portable.
If you love modern tech and a thermometer that gives instant readings then this is the right pick.
- Weight – 1.6oz
- Size – 6.7 x 1.1 x 2.2”
- Waterproof body – Yes
- Color – White and black
- Batteries – CR2032 x 2
- Temperature unit – F and C
- Screen – LCD screen with backlight
- Auto-off – Yes
- Reading speed – 2 – 3 seconds
- Temperature range – -58 – 572 degrees F
- Suitable for – Taking temperatures of any foods and beverages including meats
- Offers instant readings in 2 – 3 seconds
- Very accurate
- Large LCD has a backlight for easy night viewing
- Offers temperature units in F and C
- Can be used to monitor the temperature of any food and beverages
- Perfect for taking meat core temperatures
- Auto-off button reserves battery life
- Can be used for cold foods
- It has a very vast temperature range
- It is foldable for easy storage
- Requires batteries to function
Both of these thermometers are good picks for the kitchen. They are both easy to use and will offer you accurate readings. At an affordable price, you can also afford to get both of these thermometers for your kitchen.
If you are shopping on a tight budget then the meat thermometer is the better pick. This is because the candy thermometer can only be used to take readings of liquids and cooked foods while the meat thermometer can be used to take temperature readings of all foods including meats and liquids. The meat thermometer is just a more flexible kitchen tool to have around although it can be annoying to find yourself with a device that doesn’t work due to a flat battery.
If you are not someone who likes to stock up on batteries then the traditional candy thermometer is a good investment for your kitchen. We hope that this product review helped you find the perfect kitchen thermometer. And if you are looking for a different type of thermometer then we welcome you to hop over to some of our other product reviews where you can learn more about other types and the top picks we have in these other categories.